Patrick's Sling TSi

Weeks 34-37: Rivet filling

Since the last update I have just been continuing to fill rivets. I am still waiting to hear when the replacement fuel tank skin will arrive, and I'm hoping to get it before fully committing to the fuselage.

I managed to grab a neighbor to help flip the right wing over so I could work on the bottom. While filling the rivets I decided to assemble the access panels so I could fill the rivets in those as well. I decided to deviate from the plans slightly and use #6 screws to secure them instead of the M4 screws called out. I am already using these to secure the wing tips and this will reduce the tools I need to carry.

I am using the same process to fill the rivets, but switched from MEK to acetone for cleanup. It works well enough and isn't as toxic so I don't need the same PPE to use it.

After completing the right wing and half of the empennage I decided I wasn't happy with the finish of the domed rivets. The factory's instructions say to sand the rivets after filing, and while my method leaves a smooth surface on the filled portion a lot of the rivets have a burr remaining from when they are pulled. I don't know if this is enough to cause any extra drag and affect performance, but it will probably be apparent after painting so I decided to file them down to be smooth.

I went through a couple hand filling and using a Dremel, but the best method for me is using a oscillating multi tool with a sanding attachment. I am using the finest sandpaper I have for it (240 grit) so that I don't do too much damage to the skin if I slip. I also masked off most of the sandpaper surface to help protect the skin. I'm getting pretty effective now, but I scuffed up the skins a bit learning the process. I just cleaned those areas with Scotch Brite and I don't think they will be visible after painting.

Once I finish filling and sanding the rest of the empennage rivets, I will go back and sand the rivets on the right wing. If the replacement fuel tank skin gets here when I am done with that then I will finish up the left wing. Otherwise I will start prepping parts for the fuselage.

Last week I also found out the engine could have up to a year lead time, so I am getting that on order now. I am also ordering the upholstery as well since that has a significant lead time as well. I decided to go with light grey in the center of the seats with charcoal on the sides and orange stitching. Hopefully it looks good!

This post is from Patrick's Sling TSi