Phoenix FS

Left wing bottom skins riveted, landing light and pitot tube.

To rivet the bottom skins for the left wing we had to drill out about 3/2 of the the holes on the main spar to 6.4mm (more about this can be read in the previous log)

As suggested by Sling for the first 24 holes in the main spar 6.4x21.3mm Avibulb rivets were used. For the rest of the holes 6.4x15 Gesipa polygrip rivets were used.

This modification seemed quite scary at first, and we had to look far and wide for a hand riveter which could do the job, but eventually we got it done. It did take a lot of effort to pull the hand riveter and for that we used 2 steel pipes to increase the moment arm which helped quite a lot.

After the bottom skins were riveted we started laying the electrical and pitot tube wiring. This all went very smooth with the experience of the right wing behind us. The 4 core wire for the strobe lights was a bit on the short side however but probably just long enough to connect. Tie wrap holders with double sided tape were used to secure the 4 core wire to the skin in the 2 most tip compartments of the wing. The double sided tape was removed and the underlaying plastic cleaned with acetone. Afterwards high-tac polymax was used to secure these tie-wrap holders to the skin just like was done in the right wing. The polymax is very strong but also stays very flexible which why we think this is the right glue for the job.

Since we have the unheated pitot tube, it was directly attached to the PVC tubing by means of locking wire. (as Sling also does it in the factory) A leak test for the pitot tube was done by placing a balloon over it, carefully blowing it up from the end of the PVC tube with compressed air, clamping the ends of the PVC tube with 2 cleco clamps each, leaving on the balloon for approx 30 minutes and checking if it had deflated at all. This seemed not to have been the case and the leak test was therefore successful.

Lastly the landing and taxi lights were installed similarly as on the right wing. Crimping connectors were used on the ends of the cables and we tested the connection by pulling on it firmly a couple times. Afterwards a heat shrink was placed over the connection.







Previous post:
Firewall Inside Firewall Inside

This post is from Phoenix FS